Page 11 of 1057 FirstFirst ... 91011121321611115111011 ... LastLast

Thread: self made hairtoys thread

Length
    14/24/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Elle, I thought those designs looked familiar - and then I saw the link in your siggie!
    Lovely sticks, everybody here. I'm so impressed.
    Lady Cryollaee of the Honored Woodlands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The Goal: No trimming until waist (2013)

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sidani View Post
    Wow.. you guys really have made me want to go out and buy a Dremel.
    Get one, trust me. You'll use it for a TON of stuff outside of hairtoys

Banned
    Beautiful Northern California...AKA...Heaven!
    Length
    lame/BS&AP/hip

SquiggyFlop! You gave me the idea when you painted yours! So, ok, guys! I had to show you what I made for myself. This is a Purple Heart Comb I asked my dad-in-law to do a little something on. I had seen he was painting and asked for some clouds or a sunset...this is what he painted me! Honestly, I was going to sell it. BUT As soon as i saw it, I almost cried. I am always talking about heirlooms and this most certainly is! I instantly pictured a daughter or a daughter in law wearing it on her wedding day. OMG...it makes me so squishy Something old...and something sorta blue! I keep it in a nice wooden box by my bed and wear it on special occasions.
    Oh-I forgot to mention that he painted it for me with a toothpick!

Length
    ~ 12/28/40
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

After reading this lovely thread I decided to do a fork (or two, or three ) myself, to see how they work for me, before I invest in some of the lovely forks from etsy or ebay.

Here's the first one I made and the second, that I'm working on right now.

front: back

The Quecraft fork is for size comparison.

I decided I'll leave these two unstained, but do a couple more and paint them with flowers and such (I dabble a bit in illustration )

Thank fosquiggyflop, for the little tutorial, btw!

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TheHippieChick View Post
    SquiggyFlop! You gave me the idea when you painted yours! So, ok, guys! I had to show you what I made for myself. This is a Purple Heart Comb I asked my dad-in-law to do a little something on. I had seen he was painting and asked for some clouds or a sunset...this is what he painted me! Honestly, I was going to sell it. BUT As soon as i saw it, I almost cried. I am always talking about heirlooms and this most certainly is! I instantly pictured a daughter or a daughter in law wearing it on her wedding day. OMG...it makes me so squishy Something old...and something sorta blue! I keep it in a nice wooden box by my bed and wear it on special occasions.
    Oh-I forgot to mention that he painted it for me with a toothpick!
    Thats so awesome! wow a toothpick? the little idea engine in my head is whirring...
    ok so my dad bought me a belt sander for my birthday but he never set it up for me... i cant even lift the box to get it onto the table/desk where i want it.. i think the maple wood thats been sitting in my yard is just about ready to become a 3 prong fork... im hoping it didnt come from a swamp maple... how can i tell if my trees are good hard maple or swamp maple... ive got 4 of them in my yard... one is really really tall so i can only get wood from it when thunderstorms tear huge branches off it... i have a sort of short one that is wide and fat in my front yard.. then ive got a couple of little ones in my back yard that i dont dare prune because they already look so pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Carthasis View Post
    After reading this lovely thread I decided to do a fork (or two, or three ) myself, to see how they work for me, before I invest in some of the lovely forks from etsy or ebay.

Here's the first one I made and the second, that I'm working on right now.

front: back

The Quecraft fork is for size comparison.

I decided I'll leave these two unstained, but do a couple more and paint them with flowers and such (I dabble a bit in illustration )

Thank fosquiggyflop, for the little tutorial, btw!
    im glad i could help... what kind of wood are those made of?? i started out with a fine plywood but now im moving on to regular hard woods.
    can i call this classic length

Banned
    Beautiful Northern California...AKA...Heaven!
    Length
    lame/BS&AP/hip

stick your thumbnail in it! if it dents...don't use it! I bite my wood. If my teeth leave a mark, I burn it. If they don't I'll use it. Works great for maple! So go bite your tree!

Account Closed by Member Request

stick your thumbnail in it! if it dents...don't use it! I bite my wood. If my teeth leave a mark, I burn it. If they don't I'll use it. Works great for maple! So go bite your tree!

hahaha, hey I have heard of a tree hugger but NEVER a tree biter!!

Thats some good advice though, I like that, next time i wanna make sure something is a "hardwood" Ill see if I leave teethmarks!!!!

I am lol'ing here, hehehehe

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Knowing my luck I'd go bite the one tree that would bite back!

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Knowing my luck I'd go bite the one tree that would bite back!

yes Nightshade, that would be the ever famous Shark Tree!!!!

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SHELIAANN1969 View Post
    yes Nightshade, that would be the ever famous Shark Tree!!!!
    Great, so the next time I'm in the forest I'll end up hearing dun dun...dun dun... dun dun... DUN DUN DUN <-- my crude attempt at the Jaws theme.