Thread: New and Need Help

Length
    14/21/43
    Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Default New and Need Help

Hello LHC! I've wanted classic length hair since my calf length locks were cut down to shoulder as a child. Obviously my body itself has grown since, but I reach frustrating plateaus around waist length that end with me cutting damaged or neglected hair. I have 3a/b curls that don't make length gains any easier either. How do I prevent damage on my hair? It's high density but fine strands so I keep it in a braid to try and prevent a wall across my face or damage, and avoid trims unless necessary.

Type
    1c/F/i/ii

Default Re: New and Need Help

Hello, welcome.
    There are curly threads here, as well as many threads about how to keep your hair protected and nourished. All it takes is have a little time to read, and then maybe ask specific questions in those threads and interact with members who have a similar experience to yours.
    Happy growing!
    Last edited by Nefcerka; May 22nd, 2024 at 12:49 AM. Reason: grammar
    No length-check challenge: May 2024 - May 2025
    When it's broken, fix it. When it works, don't change it.

My Instagram

Fiorentina A. Canaretti Fiorentina's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/HL/Class
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Welcome
    A nice​ bun makes the day.

Length
    14/21/43
    Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Thank you! I'm still getting a hang of the chat process here (accidentally double-posted,) but I hope to gain plenty of knowledge on those curly threads.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Welcome! I'm sure that you'll find plenty of advice and things to try on the forums

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    TBL34/KL48"/?
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Hi and welcome
    I pray for inner peace, family peace, world peace...Imagine whirled peas
    Lady Marina...Dweller, Explorer, and Protector of the Mermaid World
    Opted out of the friends program, nothing personal

Length
    13/15/30
    Type
    4a/4b/M/ii

ere are some tips to prevent damage on your 3a/b curls and reach classic hair length:

Moisture is Key:

Deep Condition Regularly: Aim for deep conditioning treatments once every 1-2 weeks to replenish moisture in your fine strands.
    Leave-in Conditioner: Use a lightweight leave-in conditioner after every wash to lock in moisture and prevent dryness.
    Hydrating Styling Products: Look for curl creams, gels, or mousses formulated for curly hair that provide hydration without weighing down your curls.
    Gentler Handling:

Ditch the Towel: Rough towel drying can cause frizz and breakage. Instead, gently squeeze out excess water with a microfiber towel or cotton t-shirt.
    Wide-Tooth Comb or Detangling Brush: Detangle your hair only when wet or damp with a wide-tooth comb or detangling brush to minimize breakage.
    Protective Styles: Braids, twists, or bantu knots are great ways to protect your hair while maintaining length and preventing tangles.
    Trims Don't Have to be the Enemy:

Regular Trims (with a stylist who understands curls): Split ends travel up the hair shaft and cause further damage. Trimming 1/4 inch every 3-4 months can actually help your hair grow healthier and stronger.
    Sleeping on Satin:

Satin Pillowcase or Bonnet: Cotton pillowcases can snag and damage curls. Switching to a satin or silk pillowcase or wearing a satin or silk bonnet at night can minimize friction and frizz.
    Be Patient and Celebrate Small Wins:

Hair growth takes time, especially for curly hair. Celebrate small milestones and focus on the health of your hair rather than just the length.
    For specific product recommendations, consider joining online curly hair communities or consulting a hairstylist who specializes in curly hair. Good luck on your hair growth journey!

Length
    13/15/30
    Type
    4a/4b/M/ii

ere are some tips to prevent damage on your 3a/b curls and reach classic hair length:

Moisture is Key:

Deep Condition Regularly: Aim for deep conditioning treatments once every 1-2 weeks to replenish moisture in your fine strands.
    Leave-in Conditioner: Use a lightweight leave-in conditioner after every wash to lock in moisture and prevent dryness.
    Hydrating Styling Products: Look for curl creams, gels, or mousses formulated for curly hair that provide hydration without weighing down your curls.
    Gentler Handling:

Ditch the Towel: Rough towel drying can cause frizz and breakage. Instead, gently squeeze out excess water with a microfiber towel or cotton t-shirt.
    Wide-Tooth Comb or Detangling Brush: Detangle your hair only when wet or damp with a wide-tooth comb or detangling brush to minimize breakage.
    Protective Styles: Braids, twists, or bantu knots are great ways to protect your hair while maintaining length and preventing tangles.
    Trims Don't Have to be the Enemy:

Regular Trims (with a stylist who understands curls): Split ends travel up the hair shaft and cause further damage. Trimming 1/4 inch every 3-4 months can actually help your hair grow healthier and stronger.
    Sleeping on Satin:

Satin Pillowcase or Bonnet: Cotton pillowcases can snag and damage curls. Switching to a satin or silk pillowcase or wearing a satin or silk bonnet at night can minimize friction and frizz.
    Be Patient and Celebrate Small Wins:

Hair growth takes time, especially for curly hair. Celebrate small milestones and focus on the health of your hair rather than just the length.
    For specific product recommendations, consider joining online curly hair communities or consulting a hairstylist who specializes in curly hair. Good luck on your hair growth journey!